Rose City Yarn Crawling with a Martini in Hand

Author: Soul Traveler / Labels: , ,


My love affair with Portland Oregon continues and the feeling is mutual I know, because The Rose City greeted me with warm sunny days that lasted (just 2 rain days) for over two weeks.
 I finally got to attend the Rose City Yarn Crawl this year! I can't even begin to tell you how much fun I had. Suffice it to say, that I came home with enough yarn to knit with for the rest of my life! I am hoping to use it up this year so that I have an excuse to shop until I drop, again next year! I got to visit some old favorite yarn stores like "Close Knits", "Happy Knits" and "Pearl Fiber Arts", and to discover many fun new stores including my favorite new store, "Twisted"! Twisted has a real Portland  feel and look to it and the staff is very fun! The following is a picture tour of my yarn crawling through the Rose City...
It began with joining the RCYC Mystery Knit Along! I finished my shawl in while in Portland and blocked it in the hotel room. It was fun to see everyone's interpretation of the shawl. I should have taken pictures!



I picked up my bag the day before the yarn crawl started. I even ordered ahead to make sure I got one.


The goods! A basket full of local yarn!!


I discovered Black Trillium at their trunk show at The Knitting Bee. I was surprised that I stopped at just 3 skeins, but it was only my first day. The skein on the left is called "Hedwig" and it will be a shawl. http://blacktrilliumfibres.com

At Twisted I was able to decide on just one beautiful handmade yarn bowl from JAMPDX.. I really wanted at least three of these beautiful bowls.

I joined in on the Friday night party that Happy Knits hosted. Lots of good food and drink AND Three Fates Yarns in all of her awesomeness. I bought this pack of gradient pinks to make a polka dot cowl!

I'm glad I was dedicated to making it to all 15 stores on the crawl. If not I would have missed Wool n Wares in West Linn. This friendly shop offered the weary yarn crawler bottled water, candy and oranges, not to mention the Knitted Wit Trunk show! Her color selection was incredible and beautiful. I bought some of her mini skeins that she calls Gumballs, to coordinate with the skeins I chose. I also picked up a few skeins of some lovely local alpaca and a few other goodies as well.
For Yarn's Sake in Beaverton had author Larissa Brown there on Saturday. She was signing her new book "Beautiful Wreck", a tale of  time travel back to Viking times. Lavender Sheep was there with some specially hand dyed yarn especially made for Larissa's book. I finally managed to pick out a skein. Luckily they also had special small skeins in little bundles so I got one of them as well

It wouldn't be Portland without Voodoo Doughnuts. Northwest Wools (Portland's oldest yarn store) had the pattern for the yarn crawl and this nifty kit which was a must have. I really had to resist the urge to ask, why not pink? :)
At The Naked Sheep Yarn Store I got to sit with author Anne Berk and learn Annetarsia! I hope I remember! If not, I have the book

0 comments: